- Christmas Markets: Choose from Zurich (home to Europe’s largest indoor Christmas market), to Basel (where fairy-tale dollars are used as legal tender in the markets), and Montreux (the gateway to Santa Claus’ Swiss abode atop Rochers-de-Naye).
- Stay in an Igloo: Visitors can experience life in an igloo – either by building it themselves or checking in to one already built. The Swiss igloo stay usually comes with activities including cheese fondue and gluhwein nights, snowshoe hiking and spa time under the stars.
- Dog Sledding: This is a relaxing way to enjoy sliding across the snow with no balancing act involved, while taking in alpine scenery.
- Toboggan Rides: Adrenaline seekers can handcraft their own toboggan before rocketing down the slope. One place where toboggans take over in winter is Col de la Croix, which connects Les Diablerets and Villars in the Vaud region.
- Elite Sports Events: These include Snow Polo, White Turf (horseracing) and Cricket on Ice each January and February on the frozen lake in St Moritz.
- Panoramic Rail Journeys: The Glacier Express (from Zermatt to St Moritz), Bernina Express (from Chur to Tirano) and the GoldenPass Line (from Interlaken to Montreux) take passengers through some of the country’s most spectacular snowscapes.
- Traditional Alpine Chalets: Guests can choose a number of ski-in ski-out, ski-in spa out and cross-country hotels.